This unit is all about how to effectively deal with tough situations and common conflicts that arise in 7th grade with friends, family, teachers, etc.
Journal: What are some common conflicts that happen in 7th grade?
Have a discussion about journal topic and write down list of common conflicts on the board.
Work through communication handout. Just a little bit of note-taking but a lot of good conversation and examples to go along with the note-taking:) The kids always have some great examples!
2. 4 Corners Activity:
3. Get kids into random groups for the skits and have have decide on what conflict they will focus on in their skit (choosing from the conflicts listed on the board).
- Journal: Talk about a time when you used ineffective communication to solve a conflict
2. Brainpop-Time and Moby: Conflict Resolution
3. Hand out Conflict Resolution Skits Rubric-F2015 and talk about expectations (really emphasize to students they will be performing the ineffective way to solve a problem first and then rewinding to solve the same problem in an effective manner.
4. Kids can beginning writing their scripts!
- Finish up scripts and show teacher before practicing
- Journal: When have you used effective communication to solve a problem before? Give us the details and try to use some new vocabulary you learned!
- Finishing touches on skits and then present!